[sane-devel] Mustek BearPaw 2448CU pro

Damiano Rossi damianorossi at paranoici.org
Sun Dec 21 16:39:27 UTC 2008

I am an owner of the scanner Mustek BearPaw 2448CU pro and I'd like to
use it on linux system. I'm not a programmer but since there is a
backend for a similar scanner (BearPaw 2448 TA pro) I'd like to do my
best to adapt mustek_usb2 backend to support this scanner.
I'm using ubuntu 8.10 but I downloaded last CVS sane-backends
I changed line 148 in mustek_usb2.c from
SANE_FALSE,                    /* Is this a CIS scanner? */
into
SANE_TRUE,                    /* Is this a CIS scanner? */
Because 2448cu is a CIS scanner and not a CCD one like 2448 TA
I think that developer's intention was tu support CIS sensors but maybe
the support is incomplete.
Then I replaced ProducId 0x409 with 0x408 in mustek_usb2_asci.c
"BearPaw 2448CU Pro",         /* Device model name */ (mustek_usb2.c
line 128)
sane_device->model = strdup ("BearPaw 2448 CU Pro"); (mustek_usb2.c line
2082)
Now scanner is recognized from lsusb
when I try to scan with scanimage leds get on, motor start but it
doesn't stop at the end and bumps with a noisy trrrrrrrrrrrrr until I
unplug the usb cable.
When I try to scan with xsane leds get on, motor moves and suddenly
stops with a long beep.
In both cases it seems that rgb data are read but an image made of thick
red vertical lines is returned as output

I tried to analyze the debug output setting SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_USB2=255
but in both cases there is no error. Each asic function enter and exit
without errors.
What could I do at this point?