[sane-devel] SANE protocol over USB as new USB scanner device class?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 00:59:43 UTC 2008

2008/12/27 Paul Wise <pabs3 at bonedaddy.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> [Please CC me in all replies]
>
> I've been thinking it would be cool if the SANE project didn't have to
> write new scanner drivers for each and every new USB scanner that comes
> out.
>
> The way to do this would be to define some USB protocol and have it
> standardised by the USB Implementers Forum, then use that to influence
> the OEM scanner manufacturers to implement it on new scanners.

This protocol exists, it is called SCSI. Most high-dollar machines
just use some sort of SCSI-over-USB wrapper, much like USB Mass
Storage Class does. I can usually get a scan out of such a scanner in
a few hours work.  It is however, a fairly heavyweight protocol, and
requires a bit of brains on the device side.

For vendors with lower target prices, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
We are, after all, talking about folks who can't manage to squeeze in
a ROM to hold the firmware most of the time.

allan