[sane-devel] Avision AV220 recommendable?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 14:06:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Crypto <crypto at online.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after my bad experiences with my HP scanner I would like to buy a better one.
>
> Before I actually bought the HP scanner I had a look at the sane device list
> if the scanner is supported and it said that the support for it
> is "complete". So I bought it and was disappointed massively because of the
> USB trouble that apparenly has never been solved successfully.
>
> May I suggest that the sane device list be expanded in such a way that if
> there are problems with a driver these are mentioned even if the driver
> support is rated "complete", and also give some hints on how to work around
> them or fix them.
>
> I think it is no good if some brave and clever user (like me...) does what
> he/she is supposed to do and looks at the data base if some device is
> supported fully, then buys it and after that stumbles over numerous things
> impossible for them to fix or work around, but the device was "fully
> supported". This really is frustrating and can make people leave linux alone
> because of these traps.

Sorry for your difficulties. You have a particularly old scanner, and
its problems seem to be related to newer, faster machines, so it is a
more recent issue that the author has not experienced.

> I am asking You to share Your experiences with the Avision AV220 type scanner.
> So far I have not found any negative points about it when running it under
> linux, and again the sane list seems to be happy with this one.

It is also sold under several other brand names, and so, seems to be
fairly common. I'm afraid that only a user or the backend author can
fully answer your questions. The author has already given his opinion,
via the list you see on the site.

> What I need is a scanner with a decent ADF and maybe even duplex scanning, so
> I thought I should go for the Avision, but I am not completely sure if that
> is what I want. I can get a used one for much less €€€ than new. I would like
> to spend no more than approx. 350€ for the scanner. It has got to be USB
> because I do not have SCSI with my notebook.
>
> So can You confirm the Avision AV220 and its relatives are really working on a
> linux machine with all resolutions, graphic modes and feeders and will not
> cause other issues unforseeable elsewhere?

I cant tell you the unforeseeable, but I can suggest that you also
look at smaller fujitsu machines, like the fi-5110C. They are fully
supported by sane's cvs version, including every esoteric image
processing feature i could find. the fi-6130 is very impressive, but
maybe out of your price range?

allan