[sane-devel] HP 8270 scanjet support

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Mon Feb 4 08:55:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

thanks for the report that it works at all. However, the HP 8270 was
reported used with my SANE backend in a 20 scanner installation
without any problems.

I also do not have lockup or instability issues with the Avision
scanner (unlike HP, Avision is even donating scanners, so I
can test them ...).

Scanning is also known to work with 5400dpi on my Avision based
Minolta Elite 5400 film scanner.

Would be great if you could devote a little time writing some
how to reproduce texts with SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=7 (for
a beginning) log messages. That would be a great help.

Regarding the high res borderless windoer issue: Maybe just
save such huge files to disk instead of letting the built-in
image view display it ...

Yours,

On 04.02.2008, at 04:27, shivers at ccs.neu.edu wrote:

> I owe this list a followup on my attempt to get sane working with an
> HP Scanjet 8270.
>
> As Rene suggested, I checked out the sane-backend module from the CVS
> repository, compiled it on my AMD64 ubuntu gutsy system & installed
> it without
> problems. Once it was installed, sane-find-scanner was able to see
> it, and I
> was able to do scans with xsane.
>
> That's the good news.
>
> The bad news is that it is quite flaky: it locks up and/or crashes
> frequently
> enough to be unusable. If I push the scan resolution too high, it
> locks up.
> If I do several scans, it eventually locks up. After a high-res
> scan, xsane
> will pop up a borderless full-screen window showing the scan that I am
> unable to dismiss.
>
> I'm able to work around all this simply by running the HP software in
> WinXP in a vmware sandbox and writing the files out to the unix
> filesystem
> via samba. But I hope this report is of some use, and if I can submit
> anything more detailed that would be helpful, let me know what I
> should do,
> and I'll try to make it happen.
>
> Thanks for all the advice.
>    -Olin

   Geschäftsführer: Susanne Klaus, René Rebe
   Sitz: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 105 123 B
   USt-IdNr.: DE251602478