[sane-devel] scanmaker 4800 still trying...is this the right place to ask for help?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:36:29 UTC 2008

richard, sounds like you've tried quite a few things, but you've not
yet gotten a debug log, and you've not used any command line programs
like scanimage...

> I am trying to get SANE to work with microtek scanmaker 4800.  It opens the front end, whether xscanimage or xsane, but freezes upon trying to scan.  Because it fails in both front ends, I am assuming the problem is either with the back end or communication with it.

> then I commented out all other scanners and net in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.  The troubleshooting instructions say it should be in /usr/etc/sane.d/dll.conf, but I am assuming the different location is from how the debian package installer installs it.

no- that sounds like you are reading the instructions in your
self-compiled version of sane?

try this, all on one line at the prompt:

SANE_DEBUG_SM3840=128 scanimage > sm4000.pnm 2>sm4000.log

then look at the pnm and the log, and see if there were any issues. if
it looks ok, then you might have to try setting some of the backend's
options to scanimage, and see if that causes the problem.

allan