[sane-devel] Canon LiDE 80 (2nd try)

Reinhard Biegel r.biegel at gmx.at
Fri Feb 8 02:32:51 UTC 2008

Am Wednesday, 6. February 2008 schrieb Reinhard Biegel:
> Oh....i just remember there was something that had to be called at any
> price but didn't find any documentation about that. I'm going to look for
> that in my logs.

Hi again,

I wanted to capture some logs today. But I had to find out that Canon doen't
even provide drivers for 64bit Vista, which i set up some days ago.
*goingcrazy*

As far as I remember there was a bulk write to gamma address space during
initialisation which wrote data beyond the end of gamma table in the logs.
When saying 'beyond' I'm refering the GL841 datasheet.

Without writing beyond the end the motors only made ugly noise, but when
writing there the initial motor movement (forward-backward-forward...) took
place (not the same speed as with windows drivers, either little bit slower
or faster, don't remember).

Note that I changed the base resolution of the motor as I mentioned in another
post.

I hope my observations aren't bogus. Some times I apparently re-plugged the
scanner too fast, so that the registers could not reset to undefined values
and stored the setup of the windows driver. (I used to replay the USB
commands under linux).

As I mentioned I hope I don't mislead you with my beyond-gamma-writing idea,
but maybe someone can verify that.

Regards,
Reinhard