[sane-devel] scanimage -L crashes with HP ScanJet 4100c

Peter Kirchgessner peter at kirchgessner.net
Mon Feb 11 21:32:02 UTC 2008

Seems to me that the hp-backend can do a workaround, but not worth for
daily use. Could be that the HP ScanJet 4100 C is a little bit
problematic concerning USB in certain environments. BTW, did you try to
connect the scanner directly to an USB-connector on the back of the PC ?

I am giving up here on the HP ScanJet 4100 C. Not in general, because it
is working for me on two different systems. Just for certain
USB-environments.

I have no recommendation for a scanner. At least I would look for a
scanner that supports USB 2.0. All the scanners which are supported by
the hp-backend only support USB 1.x, because USB 2.0 was not available
at that time when HP stopped the production. And USB 1.x is too slow for
 scanning color images at higher resolutions. The scanner stops, goes
back and restarts very often.

Good luck

Peter

--