[sane-devel] meaning of 1200x2400 etc. explained

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 05:20:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 2:15 PM, m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
> your english is quite clear, and you certainly understand the
>  mechanical aspect, but i think you give the scanner too much credit.
>  they dont have the brains to oversample and then downsample. they move
>  the motor faster and take fewer readings. the end user would scream
>  about the speed at lower resolutions otherwise.

I see, thanks for the information.

>  back to the real issue: independent control of X and Y resolution.
>  some scanners support it, some dont. some backends do it, some dont.
>  Those that do seem to always output stretched images, so most end
>  users probably dont do it. I have often considered removing it from my
>  backends, because it seems to cause more questions than answers.

Hmm, OK. I'll ask some more questions and get back on the list.... the
reason I am interested in this is because I understand the Canon
scanner driver does not accept different x and y resolutions, yet
Canon scanners are advertised with  and y different. Very odd to be
sure.

Regards, Gernot