[sane-devel] proposal for enabling 1.1 features

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:16:29 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 3:36 PM, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:32:42 -0500
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > cause it is what is on the user's box.
>
>  well, it is not absurd for an user to install
>  a recent -dev package if he wants to compile a recent
>  frontend.
>
>  if a frontend author wants ease the burden of its users, we
>  can just provide a small .h file which contains the two
>  or three macros.

i dont say that this is a likely situation, but you are requiring that
all front-ends be modified to use sane 1.1 features.

i guess my personal measure of what should go into sane 1.1 would be -
'does it require modification of a well-written front-end?' that
pretty much limits us to well-known options and extending enums, but i
think that is enough to take SANE forward without re-examining every
detail of SANE 2 over and over again.

i'd like some other opinions before we go much farther.

allan