[sane-devel] [RFC] how to enable 1.1 features

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 23:40:03 UTC 2008

On 2/28/08, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:57:29 -0500
>
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > >  Why an 1.1 COMPLIANT frontend should be allowed to compile against 1.0 SANE?
>  > >
>  > >   I've never seen in my whole life any other library that has such
>  > >   a requirement. When the library version changes, you have to change
>  > >   the headers.
>  >
>  > AND YOU ALSO ALWAYS CHANGE THE SONAME. is that clear enough?
>

>  no need to shout.

sorry about that- got carried away thinking about having this
discussion over again :(

>   that's certainly true but then we already have the
>   problem because the new frames aren't in the old header so a 1.1 frontend
>   that wants to handle them shall use the 1.1 headers anyway. on the
>   other side we do not want to change the soname.

my original idea was to have the end user protect the frontend by not
choosing settings it could not support. that would enable us to make
no changes to frontends, no changes to old backends and get sane a
much needed feature in a hurry. some folks thought that was playing
fast and loose with the standard.

calling it sane 1.1, but leaving the soversion at 1 was a compromise
to hopefully clue front-end authors in to the existence of these
changes, while keeping the advantages of the small, fast solution.
That was still not enough for some folks, as this is still an API
change.

With your repeated requests to make other API changes, and your
willingness to write code, how about we bite this bullet and re-open
the discussion about building a new, simpler sane2?

allan