[sane-devel] getenv(SANE_USB_TIMEOUT)

Lev A. Melnikovsky leva at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 12:08:06 UTC 2008

...nice to hear from you

  On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 at 3:08pm, Ren? Rebe wrote:

RR> The user should not be able to mess the timeouts from the environment.
Actually the user is always able to do _anything_ from the
environment(LD_PRELOAD).

And we do already have SANE_SCSICMD_TIMEOUT and SANE_NET_TIMEOUT, don't
we?

RR> The backends should know precisely how long a response takes,
RR> especially to return to the user if the scanner got "stuck".
RR> If one device requires it's own timeouts then go fix the backend to set it.
Well, I don't feel myself competent enough to suggest specific timeouts
for a few scanner models. My particular unit works much better after I
change libusb_timeout=120*1000. I have no idea if this is going to help
others. I'll be completely satisfied if someone provides a general
solution which just works.

Thanks
-L