[sane-devel] RS232 Scanner

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 11:55:26 UTC 2008

On 7/30/08, Dan Scott <danieljamesscott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Thanks for your comments.
>
>  I don't think that there is an image - the log file for the ltrace
>  output is only ~40kb. I think that the scanner is returning the array
>  and there is no post-processing by the diagnostic application.

unless your log does not capture all the data for some reason.

>  The scanner is also capable of returning an image of the scanned file.

ok, if you can get a log of that, then you have a reason to use sane.

>  So I was hoping that I would be able to use sane to communicate with
>  the scanner and work out what is happening.

backwards. you have to work out what is happening, _before_ you write
the sane driver :)

do you have windows drivers for the image scanning part? if so, i
would use a usb-serial converter and benoit's usb sniffer to get a
log, and see if you can extract the image data.

for the omr mode, you might want to use one of the new sane 1.1 frame
types to return the data instead of the image.

allan