[sane-devel] Visioneer 6200USB backend

Kyle Dickerson kyle.dickerson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 04:39:53 UTC 2008

I have a Visioneer 6200USB and am interested in trying to write a backend
for it, or at least providing as much information about the model as
possible.

I've taken the scanner apart to look at chip information, however I don't
know which of the chips are important to know about.  The board that has the
power and USB connectors on it has a metal plate over two chips.  This plate
makes no contact with anything and is soldered into place, so as far as I
can tell it's just there to be annoying.

The most advanced chip (one with most pins coming out) on the PCB that I can
see has the following information: "EICI10440A E48A3-000 0019"  One of the
chips underneath the metal plate says ESIC.  I can try to remove the plate,
but I am not entirely confident that I could do it without damaging
something.  I have pictures of each of the 3 boards that I found inside if
that would help.  I attempted to get a picture of the chips underneath the
metal plate, but I wasn't very successful.  I can try again when I have
better lighting, I think I'll be able to read the information off of one of
them.

I'm mostly looking for some guidance, as I have no idea how to proceed with
this.  I was going to try to contact Visioneer, but they don't list any
email addresses, and their only contact phone number for support is a 900
number (toll).

The output from sane-find-scanner -v -v is:
<device descriptor of 0x0461/0x0345 at 001:005 (Primax USB Scanner)>
bLength               18
bDescriptorType       1
bcdUSB                1.00
bDeviceClass          0