[sane-devel] Please give me some help to solve the license issues in using sane

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 17:33:31 UTC 2008

On 6/8/08, kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
<kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu> wrote:

>  And here we see the problem, in a nutshell. My own course is quite similar
> to Allan's, though I do my work for another project.
>
>  I think that what is going to have to happen, ultimately, is that some of
> these hardware manufacturers are going to see if they can find a competitive
> advantage by cooperating with us. Perhaps the fact that SANE has been
> contacted by someone at Canon is a sign of better things to come. It is,
> after all, an improvement over the occasion a couple of years ago that one
> of the main Gphoto developers sent a letter to Canon. The reply that he got
> back said that Canon does not support Linux and recommended him to turn to
> the Gphoto project because they had done such an excellent job of Linux
> support through reverse engineering!

Canon is a very big company, where one hand may not know what another
hand is doing. I personally have spent the last couple of years
negotiating an NDA with Canon USA to get docs for the DR series
machines. I would not be surprised if Wang Mengqiang is talking about
an entirely different line of scanners, and has no idea that such
negotiations are happening.

>  What I am curious about at this point is, why Wang Mengqiang of Canon has
> been left off of the Cc: lines for some time, now. I think it would be good
> for his body, mind, and soul if he were to read the continued discussion.

Wang Mengqiang is subscribed to the list, AFAIK. I also doubt that his
body will be strongly affected :)

allan