[sane-devel] Saned not launching at Boot

Geoff Lane bunsen at tesco.net
Sat Mar 1 20:34:07 UTC 2008

I have an Ubuntu (V7.10) Linux system loaded with a Hewlett Packard
C5280 MFP connected, other XP laptops can access the printer fine. The
scanner functions work fine on my Linux machine.

I am having a few problems with saned, I have followed the advice in the
MAN pages for setting up for network access but for some reason sane is
not broadcasting after boot.

I have the correct entries in inetrd, saned.conf and services but still
no port 6566 shows if I do a local scan.

If I run saned from the control line then 6566 shows on a port scan but
then drops, if instead of the scan I try a remote connection scan I
manage to connect but saned drops as soon as the connection is finished.

Below is the output from running saned -d6  the gap is where it pauses
waiting for a connection.

geoff at challenger:~$ saned -d6
[saned] main: starting debug mode (level 6)
[saned] main: trying to get port for service `sane-port' (getaddrinfo)
[saned] main: [0] socket () using IPv6
[saned] main: [0] setsockopt ()
[saned] main: [0] bind () to port 6566
[saned] main: [0] listen ()
[saned] main: [1] socket () using IPv4
[saned] main: [1] setsockopt ()
[saned] main: [1] bind () to port 6566
[saned] main: [1] bind failed: Address already in use
[saned] main: waiting for control connection

[saned] saned (AF-indep+IPv6) from sane-backends 1.0.18-cvs ready
[saned] check_host: detected an IPv4-mapped address
[saned] check_host: access by remote host: ::ffff:127.0.0.1
[saned] check_host: remote host is IN_LOOPBACK: access granted
[saned] init: access granted
[saned] init: bad status=22 or procnum=-1079736956
[saned] quit: exiting
geoff at challenger:~$

Any ideas what may be wrong appreciated.

Geoff Lane