[sane-devel] more actions fore sane 1.1

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Sun Mar 2 12:05:32 UTC 2008

Hi all,

On Saturday 01 March 2008 20:35:30 Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 01.03.2008, 13:39 +0100 schrieb Alessandro Zummo:
>
> >  no? mine is to tweak, yours is not to tweak.. I'd say
> >  they are quite different :)
>
> BTW: in every stupid comment there is a bit truth
>
> Now I see that tweaking is your goal and so I understand why we don`t
> find a conclusion. My intention is to improve SANE.

If it is not for a gradual and compatible improvement of SANE, but
a significant rewrite it would make more sense to adapt an wide
deployed industrial standard such as TWAIN, than spending human
years of efford just to rewrite everything from scratch. SANE and
TWAIN are not that far from each other anyway and this would
also make it easier for vendors to support Linux beside Mac and
the other os.

Not that this would be my primary choice, but it definetly would
be saner than rewriting SANE just for the fun of it.

And I also want to point out once more that during a major
rewite we'll probably loose drivers for old hardware as there
will be few people re-writing a backend for the oldest devices
most developers do not have anymore.

Yours,