[sane-devel] rts8891 backend inclusion

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:17:55 UTC 2008

Hi,
> 	They are allready of 'type' boolean:

VERY good ! I was talking about general buttons handling (plustek uses
integer).

> 	I may put a more accurate 'title' and 'desc' field (it was on my TODO list).
> For the 'name' field, I'll stick to "button%d" like it is currently done in
> others backends.

title and desc are translatable, so it make it impossible for frontend
to handle in a generic manner. Since backend only rely on option index,
it's just plain useless to use button%d (some backend uses button-%d
through). Since this is quite a mess for buttons naming, i guess you
should not base your naming on this ;)

> 	Having 'well known' button names seems sensible. Have you allready got an
> idea ? For instance the 4470c has:
> 	- power button
> 	- scanner button
> 	- www button
> 	- copy button
> 	- mail button
> 	- printer button
> 	- '+' button
> 	- '-' button
> 	- toggle color/gray scan mode button
> 	- spanner button
> 	- red triangle within a red circle button

very very interesting, especially "scan","www","mail","printer",etc.
Having a set a well known buttons would help so much to provide smart
button handling on high level. Prodividing extended meaning in title,
desc and man pages will help handling such button in frontend.

Regards,
Étienne.