[sane-devel] Well known sensor

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:17:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

> the button should be called something as close as possible to the
> writing on the scanner, not the front-end authors list of words he
> understands.

I don't mean to impose naming, just propose convention. Is the goal of
SANE just to dump device design or to abstract device ? I guess the
latter since frontend must not have device specific code, see well-known
option. This is why "resolution" option is not named "dpi" on other
backend.

> there is no 'email' button on a fujitsu, there is a 'Send
> to' button.

Just set title to "Send to" for UI and let's use a generic untranslated
name for frontend. If the consensus is to use "sendto" rather than
"email", then go for it. It just needs to be meaningfull and consistent
accross backend. I don't mean to forbid other sensors.

> then, you dont need to interpret the values, you only need to ask the
> user- what do you want to do when 'Send to button' is pressed?

Users want computer to *just work*, not to popup dialog everytime
someting happen.

SANE should not decide whether frontend have to interpret or not
sensors.

KScannerButton won't interpret and allow fine tweaking of action (even
allowing to edit the shell script executed ; but GNOME will interpret as
much as possible before asking user what to do. That's a matter of
userbase target.

Please consider i propose well known sensors not to have a nice to see
code, but because users want it. GNOME does not target the same userbase
as KDE or XSane. We (at GNOME) target end user that really don't want to
spend their time configuring their computer, and they are numerous.

So please consider providing well known semantic for sensor as well.
Just like we already do for well known option.

Regards,
Étienne.