[sane-devel] Well known sensor

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:50:55 UTC 2008

Hi,

> the windows software does boolean logic on this value, along with
> the state of the other buttons and sensors, to provide many 'preset'
> scan modes. it might be nice if your code could support that idea.

Agree, i'll implement this once i have user feedback. I may ping you
then for deeper information.

> the duplex switch is the one i consider most problematic, and i have
> considered hiding it, since the backend has a 'source' option to
> control that.

Agree.

About duplex, note that i prefer backend to have a boolean "duplex"
option, similar to printing option. This is the frontend point of view
thru ;)

> i dont have a problem with making button names into well-known
> options, as long as we agree that there are scanners with unlabelled
> buttons, making button-%d your best option.

Agree.

However, buttons with icon should be "translated" to text as much as
possible. I guess think that picture labelled button doesn't change
meaning accross countries.

So, go for some well known options for sensors. How to publish them ?
Which option to publish ? Should you append it to the SANE standard or
use an external document subject to more evolution ?

Regards,
Étienne.