[sane-devel] HAL and scanners.

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 15:27:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

We should encapsulate all HAL/DBus call inside hal backend.

>  the hal backend will load '<backend>', and ask
> it for a list of scanners it can find, and somehow pick the one that
> goes with the '<udi>'.

But how can hal backend filter the device list ? Can we avoid the actual
backend to search scanner and rather just try to use directly the right
device according to some info passed from the HAL backend

> i am worried that the last step means that each backend will have to
> know how to translate udi's.

Thus, the hal backend should pass enough information to the actual
backend : libusb usb_dev struct or just bus num and dev num, linux
device, etc.. This can be done depending on device type (usb or scsi for
now).

Please comment.

Regards,
Étienne.