[sane-devel] HAL and scanners.

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:56:35 UTC 2008

On 3/20/08, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:21:30 +0100
>
> Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:
>
>  >

> > > what we are talking about will not break those backends, they just
>  > > wont work immediately with HAL, just like all the weird PP scanners.
>  >
>  > ... this point. If the people proposing the HAL integration and stuff
>  > today claim to care about the average desktop user, then they have to
>  > care about proprietary backends.
>  >
>  > Otherwise, they're just producing hot air and not helping anybody
>  > while doing so, even less so the average desktop user.
>

>  so we should maybe first list the proprietary backends and
>   then try to find a contact point for each one of them.
>
>   so we can at least check that we are not breaking anything.

we dont need to contact them to know that. if they cannot handle the
default device name, they will return an error message to the hal
callout, which will not show the device. hence, those users will have
to run a standard program like xsane or scanimage to use the scanner,
no different than now. maybe if enough desktop users complain to the
external backend makers, they will actually subscribe to this list and
work with us. i think Olaf is the only one?

allan