[sane-devel] SANE 1.1.0 Release discussion
m. allan noah
kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:56:58 UTC 2008
Lets talk about SANE 1.1.0 release, both timetables and deliverables.
I have tried to pick some things from recent discussions, and build on
the momentum provided by stef and julien. It is not my intention to
hijack this process, but I have some spare cycles coming up, and we
are all tired of talking :)
I have five general points for 1.1.x:
- no changes to function calls
- no changes to structures
- 1.0 backends forward compatible with 1.1
- improve backend consistency
- support more advanced scanners
Based on those ideas, I propose:
1. Consistent, translatable option groups (please add/change to this list):
'Standard' = source, mode, resolution
'Geometry' = x/y and paper size params
'Enhancement' = bright/gamma/contrast/thresh, rif, sharpen, halftone
'Advanced' = compression, calibration, double/manual feed controls,
backlights, tests, dropout, etc
'Sensors/Buttons' = an option for every hardware button or sensor
2. Consistent well known-options, button handling and papersize come
to mind. others?
3. Two new return codes: SANE_STATUS_HW_LOCK to tell the frontend that the
scanner has a hardware lock installed, and SANE_STATUS_WARMING_UP for lamp.
4. More SANE_FRAME types, jpeg, fax, IR, text, xml.
5. Add SANE_TYPE_HW_BUTTON for scanners' buttons. The constraint field would
allow to distinguish between push buttons (0 or 1 )and 'wheel buttons' (0 to
6. Common debugging bitmask:
1 major errors
2 minor errors
4 function start/stop msgs
8 function detail msg
16 SANE_OPTION processing msgs
32 calibration msgs
64 outgoing command dump
128 incoming data dump
help me fix that...
6. Add common configuration reading function in sanei_* so that new or
maintained backends can benefit from it. Wholesale config file restructuring?
Other things from stef's list have been left out because the dont meet
my 5 points, anyone else have some more?
My plan is to work on this over the next two months, and aim for a
feature freeze around July 4th, with release close to July 30th,
though we could certainly accelerate that with some help.
"The truth is an offense, but not a sin"
More information about the sane-devel