[sane-devel] SANE 1.1.0 Debug Levels

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:34:38 UTC 2008

Ok- how about we start a separate thread for each major topic that
needs discussing...

Olaf has suggested that we split image data off into a different
level. So I've gotten rid of the calibration level. These may not
match what you guys need for your backends, so please make
suggestions....

1 DBG_LVL_ERROR      (errors only)
2 DBG_LVL_WARNING  (recovered errors)
4 DBG_LVL_FUNCTION (function tracing 'enter xxx()' or 'exit xxx()')
8 DBG_LVL_DETAIL      ('trying action X' or 'action succeeded' etc)
16 DBG_LVL_OPTION   (any sane_option parsing code)
32 DBG_LVL_COMMAND (dump data packets sent to scanner)
64 DBG_LVL_RESPONSE (dump data packets read from scanner, other than image)
128 DBG_LVL_IMAGE   (dump image data read from scanner)

I have also been thinking about the security risk of those backends
that open files and write out data at certain debug levels, how about
we use a 9th bit for that, so that most users will never accidentally
do it?

allan