[sane-devel] Sane Release 1.1.0 ?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Nov 4 01:25:12 UTC 2008

Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> writes:

> stef <stef.dev at free.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> 	Whenever a frontend built against SANE 1.0 receive one of the new status, it
>> shows the error properly. Like SANE_STATUS_COVER_OPEN, JAMMED or NO_DOCS, in
>> case of SANE_STATUS_WARMING_UP user has to correct the error condition (in
>> this case just by waiting) before starting a new scan. When the error
>> condition is fixed (scanner is warm enough), the scan goes normally.

I have a frontend that calls sane_cancel() and throws an exception
(and no plans to fix that any time real soon).

> I am worried this can break automated frontends in a semi-random way
> as it's possible with some hardware to get back a "warming up" status
> in a middle of a run.

Indeed.

> Although the frontends can be fixed pretty easily, it violates the
> principle of least surprise, and it's kind of a problem.

Also, I doubt that all Linux distributions can get all their frontends
fixed in time for their next release.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962