[sane-devel] Can't seem to find config files

Jack McGill jmcgill85258 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 18:37:59 UTC 2008

Igor,
Some of your questions are getting beyond my abilities. I'll try to answer what I can. Hopefully, someone else can step in and help you.

The documentation for this backend says that it's not complete, but I think that is old information because the backend does get installed.

As you've probably figured out, sane-find-scanner casts a wide net and discovers almost everything. scanimage -L only detects scanners that have been added to a backend. The way to get a scanner detected by scanimage is that you have to go through the source code files and add the product id and vendor id. (In many other backends this is in backend.conf or backenddev.c, but these files don't exist for mustek usb2). I previously cited a line of code in mustek_usb2_asic.c, that had the vid and pid of the other supported scanner. Maybe there's another place in the source code that this needs to be changed. For testing purposes, you can just change the code for the one scanner that is supported.

My other suggestion is to debug with SANE_DEBUG_MUSETEK_USB2=255. Setting the debug level to 255 should give you more information. Mustek_usb is a different backend, so you don't need to debug this.

Also, try scanimage -L as a regular user, then again as root.

My suggestions are a quick and dirty attempt to get this scanner running, based on the report that your scanner is very similar to the BearPaw 2448 TA Pro, except that it has a CIS detector rather than a CCD detector.

Jack McGill