[sane-devel] Sane Release 1.1.0 ?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:46:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> As long as older frontends don't have to care about running with a
>>> newer lib, there's no reason to bump the major.
>>
>> 10 mails ago you chewed me out for not thinking about the ecosystem,
>> and now you mean to ignore half of it?
>
> WTF??? I say older frontends don't have to care whether they're
> running with a 1.0 or 1.1 lib and I'm ignoring something?

if an older front-end gets a frametype it does not support it will
likely choke. If we dont use the version number to protect it, we are
forced to put everything new into a function call, which works for
status, but not for frames. and then that breaks when a new front-end
uses an old backend. see below-

>>> nowadays. We deal with that in GTK and other libs all the time,
>>> everybody knows how it works and how to work with that. Not to mention
>>> glibc :)
>>
>> ok, then how do they do it?
>
> Adding symbols, and that's it. Symbol versioning is used by the glibc
> and also GTK now, but that's icing on the cake for what we're
> discussing here (and given our platform support, I'm not even sure
> symbol versioning is supported everywhere anyway).

Ok, but if they add symbols (without symbol versioning) then they must
version the DSO in some way, right?

allan