[sane-devel] Sane Release 1.1.0 ?

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Thu Nov 6 20:43:26 UTC 2008

Le Thursday 06 November 2008 11:01:40 Julien BLACHE, vous avez écrit :
> stef <stef.dev at free.fr> wrote:
> > 	to define a way both version can coexist we have to know	what are the
> > cases which lead to this coexistence on a system. In my -possibly
> > simplistic- view, since any out of tree backend only needs a mere
> > recompile to get in sync, I don't see at first where is the problem.
> > Could you tell me the precise cases you are thinking of ?
>
> samsung MFP backend. No sources. No maintainer. No hope for an update
> anytime soon. Shitload of users.

	Hello,

	this is the kind of headache binary only drivers provide. I have a GeForce Ti
4200 that I can't use yet on a recent kernel ....

	However, do you think we could manage to get such backends still working by:
	- installing sane 2 backends in a different directory (dll2.d ?) where
 	  sane 1 never search for backends
	- modify dll.c to search in sane1 directories when given a SANE 1 major, and
          sane 2 directories for SANE 2 major, possibly falling back to sane 1
          directories if no backend is found.

Regards,
	Stef