[sane-devel] why is the permittion to sanei_usb_open denied?

Christian Wolf ChristianLupus at gmx.de
Tue Nov 18 10:47:23 UTC 2008

Hello,

I want to use my scanner over the network using sane (server and client are
running debian etch).

I did everything mentioned at http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/ . As it
did not work I also passed all the steps in the FAQ there.

In short:
I get the folowing message in my "log" (files in /tmp:
<...>
[plustek] usbDev_open(auto,) - 0x806fb58
[plustek] sanei_usb_open failed: Operation not permitted (1)
[plustek] open failed: -1
[plustek] sane_get_devices (0xbff42fe8, 1)
[plustek] sane_exit

In long:
I found the following out:
At the server the user sane is able to find the scanner using `scanimage -L`.
Whenever I start the saned manually (using
`SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=8 /usr/sbin/saned -d8`) the scanner can be found by the
remote client. When I start saned using xinet I get the message mentioned
above. Even if I start saned manually as user saned it works.
Can you tel me what's going wrong here?

Thank you in advance
Christian Wolf