[sane-devel] Epson, epson2 and epkowa

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Nov 18 23:56:46 UTC 2008

Kåre Särs <kare.sars at kolumbus.fi> writes:

> On Tuesday 18 November 2008 01:37:50 you wrote:
>> Kåre Särs <kare.sars at kolumbus.fi> writes:
>> > I have a Epson RX500 scanner/printer and wonder what could be wrong
>> > on Ubuntu Interpid when the scanner is only found with the epson
>> > backend and not epson2 or epkowa.

[snip]

> I found a solution to the problem. There is no epkowa.conf in /etc/sane.d/ (or
> /etc/sane.d/dll.d/) Copying the default epcowa.conf file from the iscan sources
> made it work. Is this a Ubuntu bug or should the epkowa backend be able to
> work without the config file?
>
> I can report it as a bug to Ubuntu if it is a Ubuntu bug.

AVASYS' Debian packages ship with both /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf and
/etc/sane.d/dll.d/iscan.  Sounds like you are using libsane-extras.
I've checked the package from Debian's lenny and the latest Ubuntu
packages but they both look okay.

  libsane-extras_1.0.19.11_i386.deb
  libsane-extras_1.0.19.11ubuntu1_i386.deb
  libsane-extras_1.0.18.8_i386.deb

Doesn't look like a bug in any of those packages.

Even running `alien` over the AVASYS RPMs should install epkowa.conf
(please use the --scripts option if you go this unnecessary way!).

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962