[sane-devel] Bug in backend/geniusvp2_parport.c

Richard Hitt rbh00 at netcom.com
Wed Nov 19 12:34:04 UTC 2008

Hi, sane-devel

In the subject source module, in function sane_geniusvp2_parport_open(),
a test for PARPORT_MODE_EPP fails and as a result sane does not find my
Genius ColorPage-Vivid Pro II scanner.   When this test is commented
out, and the function returns 0, my scanner works fine and I am very happy.

I was helped greatly along this path by sadleder on the freenode irc
channel #sane.

I tried and failed to establish an account on
https://alioth.debian.org/account/login.php (rbh00).  My cookie mode is
to manually set cookies for this session only, under firefox; it
appeared that a cookie problem was inhibiting me from logging on; but
the message did not say what cookie domain name was at issue, and I
couldn't find anything appropriate in my cookies.  Let me know, please,
what domain is used and I'll remove it from my cookie exceptions and try
logging in again.

I'd be happy to answer questions you may have and to try things you may
suggest.  My system is Fedora 9 with sane version
sane-backends-1.0.19-10.fc9, but to get the geniusvp2_parport shared
object I had to use a mandrake source rpm, sane-1.0.15-7mdk.src.rpm.  I
went into its sane.spec file and made up for missing mklibname macros
and missing XFree86-devel build-dependency; I did "make"; and I copied
the resulting shared object libsane-geniusvp2.so.1.0.15 and its two
symlinks from backend/.libs to /usr/lib/sane.  I did make a special
kernel, setting CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO and CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO to y.

Richard Hitt    rbh00 at netcom.com