[sane-devel] scanbuttond - project dead?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 18:01:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Wilhelm Meier <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 19 November 2008 schrieb m. allan noah:
>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Wilhelm Meier
> <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > does anybody know if the scanbuttond project ist still active?
>>
>> I dont think so.
>>
>> > Why is this project using different backends?
>>
>> because that is how the author decided to do it, it is not part of
>> SANE. Lately, SANE has begun to add support for buttons, but not
>> all backends do it yet, and the 'frontend' daemons (in our
>> 'experimental' tree) likely will need some work.
>
> Ok, I've begun some work on this.
>
> The daemons in the experimental tree miss some features:
>
> 1) they can't coexist with saned because they hold the devices open
> while polling and don't "know" about saned

correct. I suppose you could have them connect to saned instead of directly.

> 2) they lack a hal/dbus interface

correct. there was some discussion of this (search the archives) but I
don't recall if any code was produced for this or not.

> Actually I have 1) functional and I'm working on 2).
>
> The problem right now is, that there are only few backends, which
> enumerate the buttons as sane-options. I have access to an epson
> 1670, an avision av122 and a fujitsu fi-6130 for testing, but the
> only one I can read the buttons as option is the fi-6130. Is there
> any further work on this on the backend side?

The fujitsu backend is probably the most complete regarding buttons.
It is a fairly new part of the draft sane standard however, so it will
take some time for other backends to implement support.

allan