[sane-devel] Patch to make XSane work with SANE 1.1

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri Oct 10 10:08:40 UTC 2008

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

>> So please increment V_MAJOR in configure.in to 2. You're breaking
>> everyone's system without that, and you're going to seriously piss off
>> distributors too (me first).
>
> When i suggested this months ago, you swore that a soversion bump was
> out of the question. We've not changed our target since that time, why
> the change of heart on your end?

It's changing the behaviour of sane_start() in an incompatible way,
which will either break frontends (automated scans are obviously more
affected) or require patching those frontends that are the more
exposed.

It's a bad idea, it shouldn't be done this way, and that's the point.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169