[sane-devel] Patch to make XSane work with SANE 1.1

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Sat Oct 11 12:22:38 UTC 2008

stef <stef.dev at free.fr> wrote:

Hi,

> 	frontends will have to be changed to benefit from the improvements in the new SANE
> version. These changes are small, and the sane-frontends package give a sample
> implementation. Frontend developers will find help here if they need.

The problem is binary-level backward compatibility, not source-level
backward compatibility.

The issue is that upgrading SANE should not break frontends
silently. I'm pretty sure the sane_start() change will break not only
multi-page scans but also automated scripts.

There's also the possibility to use a 1.1 backend with a 1.0
libsane, aka using a 1.1 backend with a 1.0 libsane-dll. That's
another variation on that same theme.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>