[sane-devel] problem compiling sane on OS/2 after latest pixma_bjnp additions

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 17 18:48:40 UTC 2008

hi all,
In order to solve this issue I have a few questions, that somebody with
some OS/2 networking background can hopefully answer.

I see 2 directions to solve this issue:

1) On OS/2 use 255.255.255.255 as broadcast address. This does not work
under Linux as I need to send broadcasts to the broadcast address of the
network when Linux has more than one ip-address, i.e. when there are
more interfaces, or more than one ip-address on the interface.

Here are my questions:
a) Does OS/2 allow for multiple IP-interfaces? If so, is there a way to
obtain a list of them? If so, an ioctl with SIOCGIFBRDADDR might do the
trick.
b) Does OS/2 allow multiple IP-addresses on an interface?

If not, I will rewrite the code so on OS/2 we use only 255.255.255.255
as broadcast address. But this may not work if there is more than one
ip-interface configured...

I found
http://www.warpspeed.com.au/cgi-bin/inf2html.cmd?..\html\book\Toolkt40
\TCPPR.INF with some good information about socket programming on OS/2.
I already noticed that I need some more rewriting as on OS/2 one can not
simply close() a socket or use read() or write() .
Franz can you do some testing for me once I did the rewrite to make sure
that we get this working? to get started, can you please get me a copy
of the TCP/IP networking header files?

2) Use only configured addresses on OS/2. Right now I only use
broadcasting to automatically detect scanners. I anyhow planned adding a
configuration option to configure the IP-adress of the scanner.
Can somebody please point me to some documentation on the use of conf
files and their use? The pixma backend currently does not have any
configuration.... I would very much appreciate some pointers! I will do
some digging to see how to do this.

And, of course, at least for the time being we can completely skip the
bjnp stuff for OS/2.

I will check what I can do to get this sorted out as quickly as possible

Kind regards, Louis