[sane-devel] epson scanner with lenny

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Oct 27 23:49:04 UTC 2008

Johannes Wiedersich <jowied at googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> I have some problems using the transparency unit of my "Epson perfection
> 4180 photo" on Debian Lenny, sane 1.0.14-7.
>
> I followed the instructions in /usr/share/doc/libsane-extras/README.Debian
> in order to obtain and install the required non-free blobs.
>
> It works perfectly for paper scans, but when I try to scan colour
> slides (selecting 'Transparency unit' within xsane), the application
> segfaults shortly after the preview scan begins. The same applies to
> xscanimage.
>
> Should I try to install epkowa's rpms via 'alien' instead?

For your particular model, right now, yes.  Things should work fine as
long as you use

  alien --scripts

> I'd love to keep my system as free and Debian as possible, though.

We now release Debian packages as well but the interpreter packages
(non-free blob ;-) are not available for download yet.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962