[sane-devel] Mac OS X: sane pixma (not) scanning via network

Nicolas Martin nicolas.martin at freesurf.fr
Wed Apr 1 20:11:20 UTC 2009

Have taken a look at the libusb/darwin.c code, and as far as I can see,
usb _interrupt_ read sequences do not support a timeout. Timeouts are
only used for normal read or write operations.
Now I understand the meaning of the last message that appears in your
logs:

"USB pipe is an interrupt pipe. Timeouts will not be used."

In the pixma backend, usb interrupt reads are regularly performed to
check for presence of an interrupt message provided by the scanner, for
status report, scan button state report, or time request.

A normal behavior of the libusb is to use the timeout, and if no such
interrupt message is sent by the scanner, backend processing goes on.

But with the MAC OS X libusb (darwin.c), this timeout, as not used,
makes the interrupt read statement to never end, that's why the backend
seems to get stuck there.
It is waiting indefinitely in read mode for an interrupt message, that
never comes as the scanner doesn't have anyone to send.

The question now is: why libusb on MAC OS X does not use timeouts for
interrupt reads, like libusb on Linux ?

Don't know the reason yet.

Nicolas