[sane-devel] SANE API / How to detect disconnect of scanner

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Mon Apr 13 06:29:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 07:42:05PM -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> > I already had a look at the code and the only way for the fujitsu backend
> > to make an immediate read or write with returning the state is set_sleep_mode
> > it seems.
>
> dont spend too much time looking at 1.0.19, it is 14 months old, much
> has changed.

Its whats available with a single command on all of my production machines.

> > It would be nice to extend the SANE api to explicitly only query for hardware
> > state. I guess there is more use of that function than my little toying
> > with scanner buttons. For long running applications which open the device
> > its wise to regularly check if the hardware is still there.
>
> presumably if you are really integrating with udev or hal, you dont
> need sane to tell you the device is gone...

I am not talking about Desktop applications which might want to do
every magic possible.

Yes hal is nice but another set of abstraction layer i cant my head
wrap around. udev is nice for an admin who is capable of attaching
its own rules.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little