[sane-devel] Please Add Scanner Driver for Brother Machines

Joshua Oberheide oberhj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 21:03:21 UTC 2009

I'm new to linux and Ubuntu, but I saw this email listed when trying to add
this brother scanner so I figured I would send it your way! I'm actually
having trouble opening this file as root and can't change it on my own. I'm
trying to install Brother printer/scanner MFC-845CW on my machine with out
much luck! Doing some searching on the internet and finding lot of stuff...
just not the fix yet! :)

*Link: *
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1c.html

*Instructions from site:*
Ubuntu 9.10*1.* Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.*2.*Add the
following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The
following rule will disable ..."):

The lines to be added---------------------------

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

 *3.* Restart the OS.