[sane-devel] problems on OS/2

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Sat Feb 7 18:41:41 UTC 2009

Franz Bakan wrote:
> The way to build on OS/2 was to run configure and then
> replace the autogenerated libtool with a rather old version
> of libtool (once patched by Yuri Dario some years ago).
>
> This always worked.

Can you email me the old patched libtool?  Perhaps I can forward port
what ever OS/2 changes to latest libtool for you.
> I now tried the latest CVS after Chris reverted the libtool changes.
>
> But when I now use the autogenerated libtool the
> 'CURRENT problem' is gone and I get further.
>
> While building I get a lot of
>  mv -f .deps/nnn.Tpo .deps/nnn.Plo
>  mv: .deps/nnn.Tpo: No such file or directory
> errors nnn is a placeholder for various filenames.

Can you log the output of each failed run to me?  I'd like to see the
filenames that are failing to see if I can find any Makefile issues.

I've heard this type of failure before for OS/2 but never understood how
a second run could resolve it.
> If I run make again (and again) I get past these errors.
> Perhaps a timing issue.
>
> But the build process get's to an end without further error messages.
>
> The object files and the libs and the exe files are generated.
> But the shared libraries (DLLs) are missing.

Can you verify that the frontends/scanimage.exe is a working program
after this?  Its good to know that we are generating a good executable
and then we can move on to share library issues... From my limited
experience, I've always heard the first thing people do is
"--disable-shared --enable-static" on OS/2 (no DLL's)... So I suspect
your patched libtool was some custom solution that allowed DLL's to be
created on OS/2.

BTW, I would like to see the output from make when it creates
libsane.la.  Hopefully, you can email it to me from above request.  I
want to make sure -no-undefined is there (which is required on Windows
and I think OS/2 fore DLL creation to be possible).
> I tried the build process with sh configure --prefix=/usr.
> Still have to try with '--disable-shared --enable-static'

As long as your getting a working scanimage.exe but without DLL's, then
libtool is going to this mode on its own.

Chris