[sane-devel] problems on OS/2

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Wed Feb 11 02:52:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Franz Bakan <fbakan at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:14:00 -0600, Chris Bagwell wrote:

> > ... Also, another thing to try for the heck of it is
> > "./configure --disable-shared --enable-static" and see if it works in
> > that mode.
>
> Finally I tried with
>  configure with --disable-shared --enable-static
> This works ( I get a huge working scanimage.exe)
> with the autogenerated libtool after the latest backleveling
> with two minor issues:

OK, thats good at least.  Not sure if we will be able to get shared
libraries working under OS/2 with current libtool.  Unfortunetly, I'm
driving blind trying to debug libtool without access to OS/2 myself.
Mostly, I'm running in to dead ends.

> 1. I have to run make again and again because I get many errors
>  mv: .deps/xxx.Tpo: No such file or directory
>  xxx is a placeholder for various filenames. Maybe a timing issue.
>  I don't know

I think if you add --disable-dependency-tracking to your configure options
that this may go away.  Looks like your compiler may not correctly support
the -MF option?  Or a directory named .deps?  Dunno exactly.

> 2. I have to manually add
>  -ltiff -ljpeg -lpthread
>  LIBS =
>  in frontend/Makefile

There is a chance this will be fixed once I get to the point of converting
frontend/Makefile to automake (soon).  I'm not sure we are currently linking
in *.la versions of all libraries everywhere which is required to give
libtool hints to link in these external libraries on platforms that have
inter-library dependency issues (OS/2, windows, etc).

Chris