[sane-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New release of Image Scan! for Linux

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Feb 17 07:26:30 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Feb 13 17:45 Julien BLACHE wrote (shortened):
> Volker Grabsch <vog at notjusthosting.com> wrote:
>
>>> Redistribution of the binary plugins is forbidden by the license.
>>
>> In that case, it's even more important to provide clean, stable
>> URLs such that the plugins can be downloaded automatically by
>> scripts, isn't it?

No!
Never ever!
Before downloading any proprietary stuff I would have to show
the right proprietary license dialog so that I would need at least
reliable fixed URLs for the right proprietary license texts
which must be well separated from the actual proprietary stuff
(i.e. only one proprietary package with included license texts
would not work for us), see
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2008-April/021911.html

> Which they probably won't ever do, because they're harvesting data
> through the form and making sure you agree to the license before
> downloading.

This shows why Linux distributors are not at all allowed
to do any kind of automated download of any proprietary stuff.

> Oh by the way, I did ask for that already years ago, and I've repeated
> that since then a couple of times.

Same for me, the last time was in the "incompatible iscan-2.11.0"
mail thread in April 2008 on this list.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex