[sane-devel] Unsupported device: Canon MF4018

Gleb Baryshev gleb.baryshev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:54:35 UTC 2009

Steve Hardy wrote:
> I have similar problems to this with the pixma backend and a Canon
> MF4660 - only my MFP *always* returns the -ETIMEOUT response after
> moving the scan head to the end of the panel in preparation for the scan.

I can't yet define exactly what actions hang up my scanner. At least,
when I scan continuously, using the same program, all work well.
By the way, successful scanning adds three lines like this to the kernel
ring buffer:
usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1
(or 'scanimage' instead of 'xsane')

Dennis Lou wrote:
> If you keep reading, Gleb solved his problem by manually removing his old version of sane prior to re-installing a fresh CVS version (apparently automated package removal wasn't doing a complete job).   Perhaps that will also solve your problem being that you two are experiencing similar things?

Actually, removing of old files was aimed to solve a problem when
scanimage and xsane could only be run from /usr/local/etc/sane.d (i.e.
scanimage couldn't find the scanner, but after 'cd
/usr/local/etc/sane.d' it could). At first it helped, but after reboot
only xsane could run from anywhere. This isn't a big problem, but the
fact remains.

Gleb