[sane-devel] Build system issues.

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Fri Feb 27 04:00:57 UTC 2009

m. allan noah wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Chris Bagwell <chris at cnpbagwell.com> wrote:
>
>> And just to be sure; did you also run the "ldconfig -n /usr/lib/sane" step
>> to verify its not ldconfig doing the wrong thing?
>>

> now i did, and yes- that is the culprit.

Hmmm, seems maybe its always been this way?  Although on my system, I'm
not seeing it.

I think I at least now know where that mystery symlink of last backend
comes from:

/usr/lib/sane/libsane.so.1 -> libsane-xerox_mfp.so.1.1.0

I see references on the net that ldconfig purposely does not update
"linker" symlink (/usr/lib/sane/libsane-backend.so) if it already exists
but that the "soname" (/usr/lib/sane/libsane.so.1 because of patched
libtool) is updated to latest version of "realname"
(/usr/lib/sane/libsane-backend.so.1.1.0 in CVS case) always.   That
correctly describes above symlink

But your system seems to be not obeying the first part and updating the
"linker" name to a "realname" that also has a matching "soname".  My
system doesn't seem to be doing that for some reason (Fedora 10).

Here is an idea to explore... Is there any change your RPM package is
replacing ltmain.sh or libtool when it was compiled?  I could see how
ldconfig might behavior like your seeing if 1.0.19 backends were
installed with "soname"'s of the form libsane-backend.so.1 but your
1.1.0 backends were installed with soname's of the form libsane.so.1.

Chris