[sane-devel] HP officejet: access scanner over the network

gobo gobo770 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:30:38 UTC 2009

first to scan using xsane, enter the following in a shell after
substituting your model and ip addr:

xsane hpaio:/net/Officejet_J6400_series?ip=192.168.2.103

you should now be able to scan with the xsane gui.  i had a test box
with xsane installed and it worked.

second, the information to do this was found here:
   http://hplipopensource.com

it is in the troubleshooting section, under "Troubleshoot Scanning",
under "My network connected scanner...", at the bottom of the page.
hplip does not have a mail list.  what they do have is an answers
section on launchpad.net.  go to https://launchpad.net/hplip, and
choose the answers tab.

lastly, while xsane has "sane" in its name, it is not part of the sane
project.  xsane is a "frontend" application that makes use of the sane
api.  this mail list is for the sane api.

i was wondering why no one here would tell us how to enable network
scanning with xsane and/or kooka.  what i now see (i have not had a
need for gui scanning) is that it requires configuration changes in
several places, including CUPS.  none of those projects are covered on
this list.