[sane-devel] to configure HP ScanJet 2400 also applies to the HP G2410

Robert John Morton rob at robmorton.20m.com
Thu Jan 8 15:10:51 UTC 2009

Hello
I know Portuguese so I have made a more free-form manual translation of
the instructions Fernando found on the Brazilian blog. Hope it helps. I
haven't tried it yet with my HP G2410.
Regards, Rob

Hi all!

I have an HP 2400C scanner, but until a few days ago I couldn't use it
with Linux because SANE didn't support this scanner. However, on
searching the Internet, I found Linux drivers for this scanner freely
available from an Inian company.

I did some tests and it works fine.

I made some adaptations to make it useable with Big Linux and now I'd
like to share this with the community.

Below is a little installation tutorial:

Installation of Scanner HP Scanjet 2400

1. download the driver from the following link:
   http://www.elcot.in/HP%20Scanjet%202400.zip

   [ed I think things will be easier if at this point you rename
    the file by replacing the spaces with underscores.]

2. Open a terminal and access the directory where you saved the zip file
   and decompress it with the following command:
   $ unzip HP_Scanjet_2400.zip

3. Now change directory to go into the directory containing
   the decompressed files using the following command:
   $ cd HP_Scanjet_2400

4. Inside this directory are two files: 2400rv.tar.gz and
   hp 2400 scanner-installation procedure.doc, containing
   instructions for installing the driver but we're not going
   to use it [presumably because it is in English an these
   guys only know Portuguese].

   We are going to decompress the file 2400rv.tar.gz
   using the command:
   $ tar xzf 2400rv.tar.gz

5. So let's enter the directory 2400rv (generated when the
   above file was decompressed) using the following command:
   $ cd 2400rv

6. Within this directory there are 5 files. We are going
   to use the files hp2400.tgz and libsane.tgz. The file
   hp2400.tgz contain the scanner drivers while the file
   libsane.tgz contains the SANE libraries modified to
   identify the HP 2400 scanner.

7. Decompress the file hp2400.tgz directly into the directory
   /usr/lib/sane using the command:
   $ sudo tar xzf hp2400.tgz -C /

8. Decompress the file libsane.tgz into the directory
   /usr/lib, using the command:
   $ sudo tar xzf libsane.tgz -C /

9. Edit the file dll.conf , which is in the irectory
   /etc/sane.d/ with the following command:
   $ sudo kedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

   [note: maybe you prefer to use gedit instead of kedit]

10. This file then opens inside the text editor. Include
    hp2400 after the line hp5400. Then save the file and
    close the editor.

11. With the scanner connected and switched on, type the
    following command into the terminal to ientify the scanner:
    $ sane-find-scanner

12. If the scanner was identified correctly, a line should
    appear that is something like this:

    found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0a01
[hp scanjet scanner], chip=GL646_HP) at libusb:002:003

13. The item libusb:002:003 in the above line refers to
    the file to where the scanner was mapped and will
    probably be different from the above example.

    By design, only the root user will have permission to use
    the scanner at this stage. We will therefore change this
    by giving everyone read and write permission for the file
    to where the scanner was mapped. In this example, the file
    libusb is /002/003. The USB device files are in the directory
    /dev/bus/usb/.

    To give permission to all users, type the following command:
    $ sudo chmod 666 /dev/bus/usb/002/003

    Remember that the file 002/003 is only an example.
    Type in its place the corresponding libsub:
    numbers in the information line in step 12.

14. Now let's confirm that the driver was set up correctly.
    To do this, type the command:
    $ scanimage -L

15. If all went well, the following line should appear:
    device `hp2400:libusb:002:003' is a Hewlett-Packard hp2400 flatbed
scanner

Your scanner is finally ready to use. So now open xsane
or kooka [and away you go.]