[sane-devel] Epson SX600FW support

Thibaut GIRKA thib at sitedethib.com
Wed Jan 14 18:00:42 UTC 2009

Hi,
I bought an Epson SX600FW scanner/printer, and it doesn't work with SANE
(at least the version in debian/testing).
When I do "scanimage -L", here is what I get:
"[epson2] Cannot send this command to a networked scanner"
So, why cannot this command be sent to a networked scanner?
However, I modified epson2.c (at line 1068) to disable the identity2
request.
By doing that, I can scan. However, I get an error when requesting a
preview, and the connexion between the scanner and the computer stops
from time to time (I then have to restart the scanner).

With the SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2 flag, I can see that the scanner identifies
itself as a "WorkForce 600" and that the command level (I don't know
what it is, but it may help) is D7.

So, how do I make the scanner work properly?
Why can't the identity2 command be sent to a networked scanner?
Is there some specifications somewhere?

Thanks,
Thibaut GIRKA.