[sane-devel] Test git repositories available

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Mon Jan 19 14:40:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am making available test git repositories for SANE. They look
exactly like the real repositories will look when we do the switch;
they're based on CVS 3-4 days ago, and they do NOT track the CVS.

*** THESE ARE TEST REPOSITORIES, DON'T USE THEM FOR ANY SERIOUS WORK ***

The repositories were converted and kept as is. The tags have not been
renamed and the commit messages have not been altered. I've done my
best to map the usernames to realnames+email and I think I've got it
right, but if there are errors in this mapping, please, let me know
before we do the real thing.

I have not converted the experimental module yet; for this module,
I'll let the "owners" of each directory tell me what they want/need:
 - directory as a separate repository
 - directory in a repository with some other directories
 - drop it

You can clone these repositories and play with git to see how it
works/looks/feels. The only thing you can't do is push your changes
back to the repositories on alioth. I can change that so you can use
them through ssh if people want to test pushing out changes etc.

I haven't done so because
 - you can push/pull between 2 local repositories
     -> clone the alioth repository
     -> then clone from the clone, and you'll be able to push changes
        back into your first clone
 - I don't want changes that should go to CVS going to those TEST
   repositories by error :)

Repositories:

 - sane-backends
    GIT    git://git.debian.org/~jblache/sane-backends.git
    HTTP   http://git.debian.org/git/users/jblache/sane-backends.git
    GITWEB http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jblache/sane-backends.git;a=summary

 - sane-frontends
    GIT    git://git.debian.org/~jblache/sane-frontends.git
    HTTP   http://git.debian.org/git/users/jblache/sane-frontends.git
    GITWEB http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jblache/sane-frontends.git;a=summary

 - website
    GIT    git://git.debian.org/~jblache/website.git
    HTTP   http://git.debian.org/git/users/jblache/website.git
    GITWEB http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jblache/website.git;a=summary

Prefer the git protocol over the http protocol; only use http if
you're stuck behind a corporate firewall. The real repositories will
be available through ssh; you cannot push with any other access
method.

Gitweb is the web frontend for git repositories.

I'll mention the gitk command, which is a gui to navigate the history
in a git repository. It's mentionned throughout the documentation,
too, try it out.

Some URLs now:
 - git on Alioth
     http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git
   See how you can publish git repositories from your homedir on
   Alioth, URLs and resources for git on Alioth

 - git user's manual
     http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html

 - git tutorial
     http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html

 - git home page
     http://git-scm.com

I'll try to answer questions as best as I can :) There is no date set
for the switch, it'll happen at some point when everybody will have
had a chance to get familiar with git and try a couple of things out.

We're not going to establish a complex development model like the
kernel uses, it makes no sense. So the workflow will stay roughly the
same, hack, commit, hack, commit, hack, commit, be happy with what you
have, (pull from Alioth, merge as needed), push out the changes.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169