[sane-devel] SANE_DEBUG_* items

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Thu Jan 22 03:13:12 UTC 2009

Hi all,

During my conversion of backend/Makefile.am I ran into following minor
issue.  I'd prefer to always pass in -DBACKEND_NAME to truly be backend
name and not based on filename being compiled.

This turned up that BACKEND_NAME is not really meant like it sounds.
Instead its mostly a way categorize debug messages via SANE_DEBUG_*.
What I'd prefer to do is modify Makefile to only pass in the real
backend name and if a specific backend wants finer granularity or wants
to pretend its something else then it should override BACKEND_NAME
itself... In fact, several backend source code already does this anyways.

Below is a list of files that rely on Makefile to change BACKEND_NAME
instead of doing it themselves.  These same files do not document in MAN
pages that they even support the extra granularity.  So I'd like to get
agreement if its OK to change them to real BACKEND_NAME or if I should
update MAN pages to reflect actual behaviour.

epson - man page only has SANE_DEBUG_EPSON but also supports
SANE_DEBUG_EPSON_SCSI.
epson2 - no man page but supports SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2_NET and
SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2_SCSI.
rts8891 - no man page but supports additional SANE_DEBUG_RTS88XX_LIB.
umax_pp - man page is missing SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_MID

Chris