[sane-devel] Fujitsu FI-5110C vs FI-6130

Giuseppe Sacco giuseppe at eppesuigoccas.homedns.org
Fri Jan 23 23:07:46 UTC 2009

Il giorno ven, 23/01/2009 alle 16.56 -0500, m. allan noah ha scritto:
[...]
> Yes- they are expensive, but worth it if you are plan to keep it for a
> long time or do a great deal of scanning. If your needs are a little
> less, you might be able to find the previous model (fi-5120C) around
> on clearance or refurbished.
> It's not as nice as the 6130, but still a nice machine.

I use everyday all those scanners on windows and linux. I agree that
fi-6130 is the best among them, then probably the two kodak scanners
i1220 and i1210, followed by fi-5110.
While I still prefer fujitsu to kodak, I saw kodak offering i1220 for
about half the price of fi-6130, so this will bias any choice.

When you strip down the scanners, getting rid of the twain drivers or
VRS features, fi-6130 and i1220 are very very similar. The only three
big differences are fi-6130 is faster, fi-6130 accept ticker sheets,
i1220 can be connect to a planar scanner A4 or A3. Small differences:
fi-6130 is certifed for scanning plastic/embossed cards, while i1220
isn't certified but it can scan thos cards too; fi-5110 scanner can scan
without opening the plastic cover, while kodak scanners need the cover
opened and hence require more space on the table.

Moreover, fujitsu scanners are supported by sane and may be used on
linux; while i1210 may only be used on windows/mac and i1220 comes with
a linux software for x86 architecture, but I never tried it.

Bye,
Giuseppe