[sane-devel] scanadf --scan-script giving me troubles when used in screen environment

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Thu Jan 29 16:50:28 UTC 2009

Hello everybody,

I have developed this tool that uses scanadf:
https://secure.powercraft.nl/svn/packages/trunk/deb/pct-scanner-scripts/pct-scanner-scripts-devel/

It is also waiting for sponsoring to be included into debian:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/pct-scanner-scripts

The tool works fine run from the command line but when trying to
integrate it with keyboard shortcuts i run into serious trouble. I
spent a hole day trying to debug it without luck.

The script called from scanadf closes unexpected when executing a
command like c44 of convert, i first thought it was a bug in convert
so i made this bug report, see the attachment for info:

But then after further testing I had exactly the same issue with c44
command.

It only happens when my tool is not directly executed form a terminal.

If i run this from a normal xterm of xfce4-terminal it goes wrong:
screen -S scanner /usr/bin/pct-scanner-script --config color2 --clean
or
/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal --hold --execute /usr/bin/pct-scanner-script
--config color2

So its not only with screen i get this issue....

Both above command result in an unexpected exit of the child script
used by scanadf.

I also simplified the script that is called form scanadf but it just
dies unexpected when called: see: http://debian.pastebin.com/d5f169270

I am complete lost here, I have been pulling out my remaining hairs
for this hole day :-(

I can both duplicate this issue on two different machines one lenny
and one sid.

Please help,

Best regards,

Jelle de Jong